JULY 6, 2011
Submitted by: Candace
My experience on this year’s trip had no comparison to my experiences in past years. In 2005, Downriver’s first Mexico Mission Team was created, and I was the youngest team member. I was in no position of leadership and I really wasn’t given much responsibility. Six years later, I went down a week early on my own to prepare for the group and to knock down some spiritual walls. I have been through a lot because of this trip. Whether it was before, during, or after, I was definitely being attacked because of the great things God was doing. Let me give you a few examples:
1. God provided a translator for me only 10 minutes after arriving at the church in Mexico. I was expecting to use what little Spanish that I knew and was very nervous, but God had it covered.
2. I went down a week early to prepare for the team’s arrival and to deal with many issues. Without God and Pastor Don, I would never have been able to do this.
3. We did an unplanned outreach in an area that has no established church, and God made a way. We didn’t have time to really invite people out, but a lot of people showed up anyway. We had a ton of kids and probably the most adults I have ever seen show up at an outreach. People were prayed for, lives were touched, and souls were saved. It was worth the harsh heat and long travel time.
4. All the plans for our San Blas outreach changed the day of the outreach. Half the team was two hours late getting there, and we were once again not able to canvass the area to invite people out. So once we got to the plaza where we were scheduled to be, God amazed us and provided a large stage with professional speakers and sound equipment. We took over a political rally! So many people were in this tiny plaza, and we were so blessed by the way God provided for us that day.
5. One day we were scheduled to canvass the area of Pantanal with Pastor Lennon and then go to the orphanage and then come back to Pantanal for an outreach. Some things happened, and we missed our opportunity to canvass the area once again. So when we came back to do the outreach, we didn’t really know how many people to expect. I was blown away. I think this outreach was probably the best one we had. So many people showed up, and I know lives were touched that night. And the excitement in the team was amazing!
As you can see, God had His way in Mexico this year. I made plans, and my plans were changed dramatically…haha. But I was okay with it because I knew that everything would work together for our good. I look forward to many more years of ministry in Mexico and working with some amazing people down there. I thank God for the opportunity and for the vision that He has given me. I know that in God’s timing I will be living in Mexico. Not permanently but for a season. And I couldn’t be more excited about it.
I encourage everyone to find Mexico 2011 team members and find out what experiences they had on this trip. You will be blessed to hear some of the stories because everyone has a different experience. And I also encourage you to pray and ask God if a mission trip would be right for you. It’s a great opportunity to meet with God and to establish lifelong friendships. To God be the Glory!!!